When it comes to auto insurance it seems like all we hear about is discounts. But what discounts are there and who is eligible for them? Let’s take a closer look.
- Bundle Discounts: Bundling multiple policies like auto and home or auto and renters with the same insurance carrier can save you some money. The logic is that the more policies you have, the longer you will stay insured with the carrier.
- Multi-vehicle Discount: If you insure more than one car on the same policy, you’re eligible for a discount. Any car is eligible for the discount if it is on the same policy.
- Teen Driver Discount: Teen drivers are expensive to insure, there is no way around it. Fortunately, some carriers are more forgiving and give you a discount if they’re on your policy.
- Good Student: The logic is that a smart student makes a smart driver. If your student driver maintains a 3.0 or better GPA, you may be eligible for a discount. This is great for parents needing to motivate their children.
- Safe driver (accident-free): Many major insurance carriers will award safe driving discounts to drivers who have been accident-free for several years. The criteria vary between insurance carriers.
- Military: Active and veteran military members are often eligible for discounted auto insurance. Ask your insurance agent to see if you qualify.
- Early quote/signing: If you are looking to change insurance carriers or upgrade your auto insurance, getting a quote (and signing up) before your current policy has expired may get you a discount. You may need to get a quote within a certain number of days before your policy expiration, so check with your agent.
- Paid-in-full: You’ll see the discount reflected in the price when you are presented with your options for paying your auto insurance policy. Paying off the policy in full will cost you a little less than paying every month.
- Paperless: Don’t want to get a paper statement? Great, you get a discount. Most major insurance carriers offer discounts for customers who choose to do automatic billing and receive emails rather than paper statements.
- Auto-Pay: When you opt for automatic payments for your insurance whether by credit card, checking draft, or debit, you can earn a discount.
- Loyalty: Staying with the same insurance carrier year over year could earn you a discount for every loyalty milestone you hit. Typically, these rewards not only include a discount on the cost of your policy, but they can also include accident forgiveness.
- Tracking Devices: Many companies now offer tracking devices for your vehicle. If you’re okay with your insurance company monitoring your driving behavior, you can earn a discount.
More important than insurance savings is having the right protection. That’s why it is important to reach out to a licensed agent in our office to review your coverage. Getting the cheapest policy isn’t always the best decision if you have assets to protect. Insurance quotes take just a few minutes but the right advice and consultation about the right coverage can save you a lifetime of hardship.