Many of us celebrate Independence Day by getting together with family and friends or barbecuing hot dogs and hamburgers. Others like to celebrate with fireworks. While fireworks can be exciting and provide great entertainment, they also come with the risk of injuries.
Six Simple Safety Tips
- If a firework didn’t ignite fully, don’t try to re-light it or pick it up. Leave it alone for 20 minutes then spray it with water and toss it.
- Do not buy any fireworks that are packaged in brown paper. Most likely, they were made for professional displays and could be dangerous to the consumer.
- Never leave kids unattended with fireworks, even the sparklers. Young children can get injured from the sparklers due to their extremely hot temperatures. Some are as hot as blow torches!
- Check to make sure fireworks are legal in your area before you even buy them. If you are lighting them off in a restricted area, you will be liable for any injuries or damages.
- Before throwing away used fireworks, spray them with plenty of water to ensure they won’t start a trash fire.
- Stay clear of dry brush or tall grasses. These can ignite and spread fire quickly.
We all love to celebrate the 4th of July, but be sure to do so with care. Wickline Insurance was founded in 1991 and is a leader in West Virginia with providing quality protection to hundreds of families across the state. Our Beckley, WV office can issue policies over the phone, so even if you’re not in the area, our knowledgeable, licensed insurance agents can help. We offer insurance products including auto, home, health, business and life in West Virginia. We make sure that you're covered today as well as in the future so that you can focus on what is important to you and your family. At Wickline Insurance, our #1 job is to assist you in identifying your needs and problems, while putting together a customized plan that's simple and easy to understand.