Although boat insurance is not legally required in West Virginia, it’s smart to insure your vessel anyway. Learn more here about the essentials of boat insurance, plus extra coverage you may want to purchase for greater peace of mind when you’re out on the water.
Liability, Collision, and Comprehensive Boat Insurance
At a minimum, you want to have the most essential insurance for your boat, similar to the coverage you’d buy for your personal auto:
- Liability insurance - covers medical care and property damage for others if you are at fault in an accident
- Uninsured boater coverage - protects you and your boat if you’re hit by someone without insurance
- Medical payment insurance - protects you and your boat passengers
- Collision and comprehensive insurance - covers your boat, trailer, and attached equipment in case of a crash, theft, vandalism, or damage from a fire or severe weather
Without this insurance, you’d have to cover liability damages, property repairs, or repairs to your own boat out of your own pocket, which most folks can’t afford.
Additional Boat Insurance for Serious Boaters
There are other types of boat insurance you may wish to add to give you greater protection:
- Personal belongings insurance for clothing, electronics, coolers, fishing gear, etc.
- Unattached equipment coverage for life jackets, oars, etc.
- Fuel spill liability and wreckage removal to clean up after an accident
- Emergency assistance if you need gas or a battery when stranded
Types of Boats That Can Be Insured
We insure many kinds of boats in West Virginia, including:
- Fishing boats
- Bass boats
- Paddle boats
- Speed boats
At the time your policy begins, coverage is set at an agreed value. The kind of boat you own and its condition, as well as where you plan to enjoy it (aka the navigational area) influence the coverage limits on your policy.
Saving Money With Boat Insurance
There’s no reason to skimp on boat insurance when there are so many ways to save money on your policy:
- Maintain a good safety record
- Take safe boating courses
- Keep your credit score as high as possible
- Keep your boat in a safe location, whether in its slip or in dry dock
- Bundle your boat insurance with other personal policies, like those for your home or car
- Partner with an independent insurance agency, where you get a greater selection of insurance options
Our Agents Will Customize Your Boat Insurance for Your Usage
Everyone’s boat usage is different. That’s why our independent agents tailor every policy to the owner and their needs. We have access to a huge menu of boat insurance options for all the elements listed above, plus we provide great personalized service to our customers. Call Wickline Insurance at 304-252-1483 today to get the right boat insurance so you’re protected — or start your boat insurance policy online now.